Thursday, May 25, 2017

Today - faux pink quartz

Good morning. As today is supposed to be a pretty, sunny, low humidity day, I decided that it's a good day to do the pink quartz tutorial.

Mainly because working with translucent polymer clay on a day with high humidity in the air increases the chances of "moonies". "Moonies" are the little bubbles of air trapped in polymer clay, that are the most noticeable in translucent clay. As they are too tiny to pop, it's practically impossible to get rid of them. All you can do is to minimize the conditions that favor their apparition. Usually they are the bane of OOAK doll makers - any OOAK doll maker that knows their business does mix a bit of translucent clay in the flesh one for a more realistic look of the doll, the human skin does have a degree of transparency - hence the risk of "moonies". Nothing like working for 2 hours on a 1/2" doll hand and getting perfect fingers and fingernails (about 1 mm wide lol) and then once you bake it you see moonies and you need to start all over.

Anyway. I got all my clay ready. Will start taping here in a few. Once I'm done taping and editing I will make a separate post explaining what needs to be known when trying to replicate pink quartz.  I will post the uploaded tutorial on that new post.

Then the rest of my day will involve lawn mowing, grocery shopping and house cleaning. Sigh. I'd rather be claying lol

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! It will be posted after I review it.
I am sorry but I have to moderate comments due to spam.