Thursday, May 18, 2017

High risk

The Norman Weather Service has upgraded the severe weather risk area to "high". That's the highest. There is a severe tornado outbreak predicted for today. As much as it is true that my side of town is still in the "slight", that doesn't mean it can't get hit. Weather is unpredictable and mother nature doesn't really care about lines people draw on a map.

This being said, I might be updating a lot. I tend to be hyper when I'm worried.

Back to polymer claying.

I found a way to do the home-made alcohol inks. FINALLY. That's one of my pet peeves, that with my income I can't afford so many of the goodies out t here that would allow me to make prettier jewelry. Oh well. With careful budgeting I'll get there. One day.

And as I don't think I'll ever make a tutorial video about it - i t would be too risky with my hands medical issues, I'd probably topple stuff left and right and can't do that in the office room, I did the inks in the kitchen and there's no way to rig the camera there anymore - I'll just tell you.

Get a few smallish jars or if you're sure that you won't bump and topple, even plastic one-ise cups. Alcohol (the higher grade the better). Those fine tip applicator henna bottles work the best for storing (I just had a whole bunch in the house as I do henna tattooing from time to time). And.....  *suspense building*..... permanent markers. Well. Should have thought of this earlier, the permanent markers DO give that strong odor of alcohol when used, right? So, wearing gloves (a must, otherwise you'll stain your skin something fierce), break the markers open, remove and unfold the felt-y thing inside, and let it soak for 5-6 hours in alcohol. And voila! you got your alcohol ink. You can get the markers at the dollar store for quite cheap. I had around the house a few sets of many many colors so I am still in the process of making many, many colors of ink. Why did I have so many? No idea. I don't remember buying them - I don't do marker art and drawing - so probably someone got it for me.

As I can't get any stuff until the first of the month, and for the faux Tiffany I need either more liquid polymer clay or an embossing ink pen, I was thinking to do a tutorial today on canes for Coleus leaves. Even if you don't know what Coleus is, you've seen it for sure. It's an annual decorative plant, with the leaves prettier than most flowers. There are many kinds, each of them with a different design on the leaves.  Here's a few:



Yes, there is a way to replicate those beautiful patterns. And there are dozens and dozens of them. Even without using it as a leaf, you can still use it for a pendant or beads.

So yes I will get on that today.

Will update later

Update 2:55 pm.

Storms have started to fire up in the southwest of the state and are already becoming tornadic. Uhhh

I finished the coleus tutorial, it's uploading. 2+hours for about 16 minutes of video. Seriously, youtube?

Result



Trying to find my syringe needles. I saw something really cool involving alcohol inks and I want to try it but I need a very controlled and tiny dripping. It's a huge difference working with an A4 sized yupo paper and working with a 1square inch of surface.

Yes I have syringe needles. You can find them at feed stores, the kind that have stuff for cattle. Syringes too. That's what I always used when rescuing kittens. The syringes, without needles, doh.

Update 5:50

Yes the tutorial got uploaded but I didn't have the time to update this as a first wave of severe storms passed overhead. Just a slight stuff for what has been around the state today - got some quarter size hail and lots of wind and rain. My poor shorthair cat is terrified of storms. He starts yowling loudly and if I don't go pick him up and cuddle him he gets in a kind of shock state and pees himself while screaming in terror. Well he might still pee himself if I don't get to him in time.

Yes. Not much polymer claying today, besides the cane. Sorry, bad weather.

Anyway, here's the tutorial

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! It will be posted after I review it.
I am sorry but I have to moderate comments due to spam.