Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Again, stormy with a chance of polymer claying - a big rant and ideas

Oklahoma. We're supposed to have a wave of severe weather starting this afternoon til Friday, with a short break part of the day on Wednesday.

All my scars started screaming last evening, so of course I didn't sleep too good. Woke up the first time close to 2 am. Moved to the living room, turned on the youtube on reality tv courts and managed to sleep til a little after 4 am. Yes, for some reason, white noise that comprises either Judge Judy or Judge Milian help me sleep better than "binaural music for relaxation and sleep" lol. Oh no, don't think that I consider them boring, in fact, I love both of them to pieces. When it comes to Judge Judy, she is my ideal figure of a mother. And did you ever notice how much her and Sophia's character in the Golden Girls are alike? As for judge Milian I love her to pieces. No, no girl crush, I'm 1000% hetero lol. I just like her a lot, she has a great heart but

Wait this is a blog about polymer clay. Why am I rambling about TV shows? Haha

So after straightening the house a little I am planning on making a tutorial about faux Tiffany stained glass effect. I searched and searched and couldn't find anywhere a tutorial with the technique I personally use, so hey! I might call it Kalyana technique eh? My name (well my brand name) will be famous for eternity! "Day's technique" wouldn't sound as awesome as "the Kalyana technique". Oh yes. Sounds impressive and mysterious.

Anyway. I'll update this as the day goes by, as usual. I know, blogs shouldn't be done like this. Who cares. This is my blog and I write what I want and when I want it.

Oh yes, the rant. So a couple of weeks ago I purchased some stuff on Ebay. Among which were some texture sheets from China. They started coming in the mail, various vendors, not just one source. And one of them really pissed me off, to the point that I left a scathing feedback review.

See this (click on the link, it's ebay)? Does it say "silicone"? Does it say "baking"? Yes? You see it?

Texture sheets

well, it's darn plastic. Has nothing to do with silicone or with baking. It melts. It doesn't bend.


Don't get me wrong, the texture is still ok, does leave the imprint I wanted it to - the bubbles one actually adds a lot of texture to mokume gane. But I hate it when vendors misrepresent their merchandise.

Also, as idea. Next time when you go treasure hunting at a second hand store, look in the kid's toys area. Some of the play-doh kits have really need cutters and stamps and molds. Actually some of them are even worth to buy new. You get many awesome shapes of pendants  for the price that it would cost you to buy a single one from a polymer clay supplies store.

Talking of which. I hate that there is no more Michaels in my neighborhood. There's only Hobby Lobby and I absolutely loathe their overpricing. I was looking, those 5 piece kits of silicone-tipped sculpting tools? You can get them usually under $5.50 on ebay, amazon, etc. They're close to $12.00 at Hobby Lobby! Then, cutter sets - same exact shape, same exact dimension, same exact number of cutters, in the cake decorating area (fondant) it's $2.99 or $3.99, in the polymer clay area it's $7.99. Yes, the package is different but it's the exact same thing!!!

Anyway. Talk to  you guys later.

11:50 edit

Look at this


Dude. We should get a swap going.

Edit 3:50. Watching the storms starting to fire up in the Texas and Oklahoma panhandles. The nasty kind of storms. The ones that hate each other and are each by its own. Seriously, from the so many CEUs (I completely forgot how many) I got in classes and working in State Emergency Management one thing I learned early on: line of storms is less dangerous than isolated strong storms. That's not to say that lines of storms - yanno, like the ones that stretch from Arizona/SW Texas all the way to Delaware in a diagonal - don't produce tornadoes. Yes, they do, but if it's a line of storms the chances of those tornadoes to be F5 are very low. F4, maybe, with a capital M. F0-F1-F2-F3. Not that those don't cause damage, but they don't kill as many people and don't do so much destruction. But the big, isolated storms that move kind of together but not really - like a group of crochety old ladies at church, they kind of want the pastor to see they're good people and care about the others but at the same time they can't stand each other. THOSE are the kind that can produce something like the 2013 El Reno tornado, the widest in recorded history, 2.5 miles diameter at the base of the funnel. Or the infamous Moore 2009 and Moore 2013, both suspected of almost passing the F5 level, that killed so many people.

Bah. Anyway. I keep experimenting for the faux Tiffany tutorial. It's possible that I might have to do it later. I'm almost completely out of liquid Sculpey and the glaze dries out before I can finish the ouline to sprinkle it with the embossing powder. Plus, I can't do such pretty lines with the paintbrush as I can with my henna tippity-tip squeeze bottle. Yea, that's the one that rocks.

See? Not that awesome, The one with the glittery embossing powder at the left (which is the finest one) looks a little better, but the lines are still too thick. That's because I had to keep going back over with the glaze because it kept drying before I could apply the powder. Looks like a child's drawing. Yes, yes, I know, Tiffany lamps aren't exactly the sharpest lines in the drawer but still this looks like a second grader drew them.





cya in a while, clay-o-file


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! It will be posted after I review it.
I am sorry but I have to moderate comments due to spam.